Tips for Preventing Cyber Attacks
Cyber-attacks continue to rise at an alarming rate globally due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At Capital Markets Elite Group, the safety and security of our customers and employees is our top priority. We advise everyone to adopt and practice safe computing and internet habits. To reduce the risk of becoming a victim of cyber-attacks, we offer the following cybersecurity awareness tips:
- Avoid clicking on links in unsolicited emails.
- Be cautious of opening or downloading email attachments.
- If you have to use a username or password on a website, carefully inspect the URL or address to verify that the website uses “https://” and that the name is correct and not spoofed (altered or changed).
- Avoid sending usernames and passwords by email.
- Look out for spelling or grammatical errors in suspicious or unsolicited emails.
- Use a personal firewall and anti-malware program on your computing and mobile devices.
- Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) when browsing on an untrusted or public wireless network.
- Carefully inspect the actual URL used in the ‘From email address' (not just the name). Malware or Phishing emails often impersonate reputable company or government employees and often use unusual URLs in their email address (for example email@example.com).
- If you are unsure whether an email is legitimate, it is worthwhile checking directly with the company or organisation first, as to, what email addresses they might use to contact you before opening or downloading any attachments you have received.
- Make sure to permanently delete suspicious emails inside your inbox and mark them as ’spam’ or ‘junk’ when you can.